Thursday, February 19, 2009

Moonfish - Orlando

On my final night in Orlando, we went out with another client and his family to a local restaurant they've fallen in love with. Unless you are some Disney palace or crazy faux Hollywood set, most restaurants in Orlando are set within strip malls and look pretty unglamorous. This one, however, was a diamond in the rough.

Moonfish is known for serving Orlando's freshest fish from around the world. The interior was quite a surprise given its humble exterior. The kitchen is open, so when you walk in the main entrance, you are staring straight into this multi-level grill with flames shooting everywhere. Copius bottles of wine line the backs of booths. (Always a good sign!).

Our gracious host ordered calamari, coconut shrimp, spicy tuna rolls and scallops to start. I chose the Macadamia Nut-Encrusted Mahi Mahi served with sticky rice, Szechuan green beans and mushrooms. To complement the fish, I ordered a flight of 3 Chardonnays for a little dining experiment. I liked the oakiest Chardonnay from Sonoma, whose name I, of course, cannot remember.

The fish was delicious. My fellow diners ordered filet mignon and ribeye steaks, which I'm sure were amazing for beef lovers but held no appeal for me. After dinner, our host ordered four slices of various cakes since we were all so indecisive about what we wanted. So we sampled coconut cake, chocolate heaven, Creamsicle cake, and cheesecake with baklava. All were ridiculously good. The slices were as big as my head!

It was a pleasant experience, and I was grateful for the chance to get off the conference resort. Orlando is much more fun when you're not working :) Back to Baltimore this afternoon. Goodbye 78 degrees!

No comments: